Owing to its growing status as a commercial center and the recent successful campaign to bring a state Normal College to Denton, a group of citizens formed The Denton Board of Trade in 1890. J.A. Carroll and T.W. Abney, President and VP of the new organization, had also been members of the "Syndicate" of citizens who purchased land and donated it for the new college.
The only known activity of this first commercial trade group to form in Denton was to print the pamphlet reproduced here. This organization soon became inactive and nothing more was heard of it. Throughout the 1890s there were several unsuccessful attempts to resurrect the Denton Board of Trade but the present day Denton Chamber of Commerce was organized in 1909.