TOURS IN THE CITY Walking Tour #1
From the WPA Guidebook to Denton - 1938
The City Park extends from within three blocks of the square to within one block of Texas State College for Women. A path leads diagonally from the S.E. corner to the N.W. corner of the park, affording a short-cut to the college campus. Prior to 1920, the park area comprised the negro section. At the instigation of the women's clubs, officials of the college and other civic bodies, the city floated a $75,000 bond issue to create a city park, primarily as a means of getting rid of the negroes from this section. They were moved to the east end of town.
The 27-acre park covers an irregular tract. Although the park has been greatly improved by an extensive and systematic landscaping program, its beauty is primarily due to the large number of native shade trees, including oaks, elms, and pecans of giant size. Two branches of Pecan Creek meet in the eastern edge of the park. Where the branches meet, a dam has been constructed to form a lake about two acres in area. Along the banks of the winding streams and along the lake shore, droop weeping willows. In about the center of the park is a modernistic band shell, where the local chamber of commerce sponsors a series of concerts during the summer months. In every direction from here are recreational facilities, including picnic grounds, swings, merry-go- rounds, and a wading pool.
On the walk between the band shell and the ball diamond is a lily pond of native stone, in the center of which is a fountain. The circular elevated pond supports a variety of goldfish.
In the northeast section of the park, a well-lighted softball field serves two softball leagues in the city. - the civic league with eight clubs, and the industrial league with six clubs. During the summer months an average of two games are played here each evening, free to the public. Just to the west of here is a rose garden, bordered by supports for climbing plants.